Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Driver Stats: Mark Martin

Bittersweet, that my last post should come during an off week. Yes, I'm looking forward to Phoenix (and the end of this long, long semester.) But I have enjoyed my mandated foray into blogging and thinking up racing things to discuss has deepened my appreciation for the sport. That's why I picked another driver currently not in the top 10 rankings to profile this week, because of his staying power. That and the fact that he is riding a three-race top-ten finish streak with two poles in a row and he led a lot of laps last year in Phoenix (I saw it from the stands) and almost won it--maybe this year. The old guy is hot. 

Mark Martin ran his first Cup race in 1981 as an owner-driver, but raced only sporadically for himself and other teams until 1988 when he joined Rousch Racing and got his first career win in 1989. That means a lot of stats, so I'll just summarize--35 career wins, 44 poles, 243 top 5's, and 399 top 10's. He ran the last two seasons part time, and just joined Hendrick Motorsports this year to run again full-time, for how long no one knows. He currently drives the Kellogg's #5 Chevrolet and sits 18th in the standings. 

What is so remarkable about Mark Martin? Not only his longevity (in racing--he's really not that old in people years) but also his success. He has finished in the top 10 season rankings 16 times, and came in second four times--behind names like Earnhardt (twice), Gordon and Stewart. Twelve of those top-ten years were consecutive. The man is always a threat to win--a pole, a race, a championship. The NASCAR world sees him as the best driver never to win a championship. And now I melodramatically feel a little of what he must feel, although my success or longevity aren't even close to his. If it's fun and rewarding, it's hard to say goodbye. 


No comments:

Post a Comment